CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, August 4, 2008

This is from "A Daily Walk in the Word- Our Journey"

"Courtesies"

"Courtesies. I extend courtesies to God. I politely thank Him for a good meal and a good day. I thank Him as I thank a waiter with a tip for a service well done. Yest sometimes I don't feel like leaving a tip or giving thanks. All too often I don't wake up in morning overwhelmed by God's goodness and overflowing with a heart that knows life is good and that heaven is far better.
What's wrong with me? Why don't I feel that with every waking breath and thought I owe God unending, heartfelt praise? Gradually I begin to realize that I have slipped into the presumption that God owes me something. I act as if I deserve what I get and more. I didn't ask to be born. Don't I deserve a good meal, a car that runs well, a meaningful work, and friends to count on? Don't I deserve health and happiness and all of the good things God gives me? That's why sometimes I say, "Thanks." I don't want to seem ungrateful.
Once in a while, the fog lifts long enough for me to see a different picture. In those moments, I am amazed to see the truth about what God owes me. Nothing. He doesn't owe me anything. More accurately, I don't even deserve what I have been given, let along what God has withheld. I don't deserve another day, another meal, another laugh. God is not indebted to me. He has no obligation to make me happy by giving me what my heart demands.
Thinking I deserve anything is my unholy presumption. I often forget the most basic and foundational doctrines of Christian faith. I forget that "grace" means "undeserved help." "Mercy" means "undeserved relief." What do we have that has not first been received as "grace" or "mercy"? Together they encompass everything. I deserve nothing. Any good is an act of God's sheer, undeserved kindness. In my presumption, I have it all wrong. God owes me nothing. But I owe Him everything."

By: Mart de Haan

1 comments:

MelanieB said...

So many thoughts in your last entry ring true.

By the way, LOVE the new background and color scheme!! You'll have to tell me how you did it. I want something different on mine, but the choices I could find were pretty limited. I'm also computer-challenged.

Have a nice weekend! I'm sure we'll be hot.
Melanie